Your home is not only the largest investment you’re likely to make, it’s also the place where you spend the majority of your time. That’s why it’s so devastating when water or fire damages your home. Such damage has the potential to cost you thousands of dollars, and if it’s substantial it can make your home uninhabitable. Thus, it’s important to take the necessary steps to safeguard your home as well as possible. The following are a few tips for reducing the threat of water, mold, smoke and fire damage.
PREVENTING WATER/MOLD DAMAGE
To prevent water and mold damage, you should check all of your pipes in the fall before cold weather hits and in the spring once warmer temperatures return. During the winter months, water in your pipes can freeze causing it to expand. This expansion can puncture your pipes, leading to damaging leaks. An existing small crack or hole in your pipes will only worsen during the winter, thus inspection before and after winter is the best course of action. It’s also crucial to check all of your appliances a couple of times each year. By ensuring that your water heater, garbage disposal, and washing machine are functioning properly, you’ll prevent any flooding these appliances can cause. Lastly, you should have a mold inspection performed at your home at least once a year. There are two major problems with mold. First, it often goes undetected for years at a time. This poses a serious health risk to anyone living in the home. Second, water and mold can get into places you’d never imagine, even during the construction of your home. By having a mold inspection performed each year you’ll ensure that water isn’t collecting in your walls, underneath your sink, or around your shower.
PREVENTING SMOKE/FIRE DAMAGE
The strategy for preventing smoke and fire damage in your home is fourfold. First, unplug all of your electronics whenever you leave your home unattended. The wiring in your electronics can short circuit at anytime, posing a serious fire risk to your home. Second, always make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working. They should be inspected at least once a month. Third, never leave burning candles or incense unattended. Doing so for even a short time is putting your home at unnecessary risk. Finally, if you have any issues with your electrical wiring, such as an outlet that isn’t working properly, call an electrician to have the issue repaired immediately. Unfortunately, not all home disasters can be avoided. Forest fires and flash floods happen, and when they do it’s important to know of a mitigation company you can trust. When your home experiences water, mold, smoke and/or fire damage, it’s crucial to get trained professionals to the scene as quickly as possible. A damaged home is a dangerous home, so you’ll want to leave the cleanup and repairs to certified professionals like those at Rainbow International.
Do your best to avoid the threat of water, mold, smoke and fire damage
, but if the unfortunate event of damage occurs, be sure to contact the professionals as quickly as possible.